Monday, July 5, 2010

What God Sees

There are times I think God must look down from heaven at this world He created and cry at the brokeness. Cry at the lostness, the blindness, the arrogant way we charge ahead with our lives thinking we have control over anything, much less ourselves. We assume to know so much more than we do. We assume to see with our eyes while refusing to look with our souls. We commit the first sin every day of our lives--thinking we can do better than God. But even if we fixed all that, even if we submitted wholeheartedly to God and never sinned against Him again, the pain would not cease. In fact, it might actually increase, because the result would be that we would experience more of the pain He feels to watch His creation inflict wound after wound on themselves and each other, and therefore, on Him. Even if I never sinned against God, my fellow man, or myself again, I would still experience the brokeness of sin because we are incapable of not hurting each other. Sin causes pain, and it never affects just you. It affects God, it affects others, it affects the deepest parts of our soul. And that breaks my heart.

"Let my heart be broken by the things that break God's heart."

--Bob Pierce, founder of World Vision

No comments:

Post a Comment