Friday, January 13, 2012

Drunk on Carbs

Tonight, Justin and I did something that we've never done before.  Things have been tough around here.  Justin's had a winter cold for what feels like more than a week, leaving me to act as nurse, caregiver, housekeeper, wife, etc.  Granted, being a caregiver isn't easy anyway, but add illness into the mix and things can get tense. So, to combat the illness and overall low morale in our apartment, we got drunk on all-natural, gourmet carbs from Central Market. 

Now, I know that some of you health nuts out there might be thinking, "Didn't you just decide to start a new eating plan?  What about the exercising and being healthy?"  To that I will say this:
1. We ate well today up until dinner.
2. Today was a running day (completed 2nd day of C25k week 2 and was rather proud of my performance!) and I saved some of my snack calories in order to not totally ruin things tonight.
3. Though I am not a proponent of emotional eating, sometimes it's important to bend some rules (like on eating) in order to maintain what is most important, which in my life are my faith in the Holy Trinity and my marriage.
4. Whatever didn't get eaten tonight is going in the trash.  I know there are hungry kids in Africa, but the carbs we managed not to devour tonight are not going to do them any good, and it is not my obligation to eat leftover carbs that are not good for me in order to somehow have solidarity with starving children elsewhere in the world.  The best thing I can do to show my support for such children and their families is to pray for them and support programs that actually are providing them healthy food. Sorry...I'm getting on a soapbox...  Anyway, back to the story!

So, I went on a mission of exploration to Central Market, something I've been wanting to do since we moved to Dallas.  On this mission, I procured a piece of spinach lasagna, a mushroom & goat cheese quesadilla, macaroni and cheese, a fresh baguette, herb cheese to go with the baguette, organic blood orange Italian soda, and chocolate chips cookies from the bakery.  Told ya it was a carb fest!

While sampling all of the findings, we watched How I Met Your Mother and Dateline.  I started noticing our drunken state about the 3rd time we laughed hysterically during the same 5 minute bit in HIMYM.  By the time we put on Dateline at 9, we were in a close-to-delirious mood.  While getting ready for bed at 10, almost everything we said was funny and worth a side-splitting laugh.  All I can determine is we experienced a classic case of carbo-high.  Thankfully, the side effects are not terribly debilitating, and it got us to laugh with each other--A LOT. 

Now, loading up on carbs and watching a horny Doogie Howser and real-life murder mysteries may not be your thing.  Getting ready for bed at 10 p.m. on a Friday night may not be your thing either.  But tonight taught me a valuable lesson--whatever it takes to lower some of the tension in life to make room for the joy that surrounds you: DO IT!  Taking a bit of time to let life reset and laugh through the things that cause the most angst is a healthy move, even if it requires a few chocolate chips cookies here and there.




1 comment:

  1. We are going to have to get together sometime soon and have a foodie fest. We are moving to downtown San Antonio in a few weeks and the Central Market is becoming our local HEB.

    ReplyDelete