Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 2 in One of the Craziest Weeks Ever

So, today started as a very packed full and somewhat stressful day. I started early this morning with taking Justin to work. Because of some places Justin needed to go during the day and my busy schedule, taking Justin to work today involved getting him there, taking his van back home, getting my car, and driving myself to work. So, before I started actually working this morning, I had been driving around town for 40 minutes. Mornings like this morning are hard on Justin. He has difficulty with not being able to drive sometimes. He knows that there are certain "car juggling acts" we have to do when he has to go places for work that aren't "normal." He doesn't often get down about these things but when he does, it's pretty bad. I also know that I often have to just let him ride it out and talk to me later about it. As much as his inability to walk can affect me, he is the one who has dealt with it for 28 years, which often gives him an advantage with dealing with it, but sometimes it ends up making the pain very overwhelming.

So, after my accompanying this morning, I headed home. I had an organ lesson this afternoon, and Justin and I had a marriage counseling appointment to lead this evening. So, I decided to use a little time before I went to practice for my lesson to do some prep work for a crockpot meal to serve for the couple we were having over tonight. First, I had to sear some pork chops on high heat, then lower the heat on the skillet, add more olive oil and add some onions to carmelize. Problem is, unbeknownst to me, the oil in the skillet got pretty hot and pooled up in one area of the skillet. So I turned around from the cutting board, dropped the onions in and ended up splattering hot oil on both of my arms. Being in a hurry and not thinking much of it, I wiped the oil off and kept cooking. When I finally got everything in the crockpot, I looked at my arms and realized how burned they really were. Long story short, we cancelled everything for the day, and I got a prescription cream from the doctor and wrapped the burns in gauze. They're starting to feel better. I kept thinking, though, I've needed a time for rest, but why did it have to happen this way?? Ah well...in a strange set of circumstances, it did happen and I am very grateful for a little bit of time to breathe. I will say this though: I don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep tonight! Maybe I can hold my arms up in the air like a zombie...

No comments:

Post a Comment